Nothing beats homemade gnocchi! Delicious, soft pillows of Italian goodness!
My nana is an amazing cook, and she is the reason I have such a huge passion for cooking. She makes the best homemade gnocchi I have ever tasted! Although I have inhaled gnocchi many times, I have never made it myself…Who has time for that?! Especially with a 7 month old baby!
Well, turns out last weekend I decided to challenge myself and give homemade gnocchi a try! I will admit, it definitely took some time and my gnocchi by no means came out perfect, however, they tasted delicious! Delicious enough that I am sharing my recipe with you all!
I decided to use white sweet potato instead of the potatoes used in traditional gnocchi along with some herbs and it turned out pretty damn good! I surprised myself…It will never taste as good as my nana’s and that is a fact, however, I will keep trying!
Are you up to the challenge to make these delicious pillows of Italian goodness?!
- 2 Cups of well mashed(whipped) and roasted white sweet potato
- 1/3 Cup of ricotta cheese drained
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 Cup of Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 Tsp pink sea salt
- 1 Tsp Black pepper
- 1 Tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 Tsp Garlic powder
- Approximately 1 1/4 cups of flour
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 Small head of broccoli
- 1 Small red onion
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- In a large bowl add well mashed (whipped) and roasted white sweet potato, ricotta cheese and egg yolk and mix until well combined. Add Parmesan cheese, salt, black pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder stir until well combined. Fold in flour 1/2 cup at a time, until a dough is formed. The dough should be a little sticky, but not too sticky that you cannot work with it.
- Place dough onto a lightly floured surface and divide into 4 equal parts. With each individual part of dough, using the palms of your hands, stretch and roll dough until it is approximately 1 inch thick and 15 to 20 inches long. Add flour as needed. The dough should resemble a rope. Repeat this step until you have created 4 ropes of dough.
- Carefully using a sharp knife cut each rope into 1 inch pillows. You should get 20 pillows of dough per rope.
- Cook gnocchi in a large pot of rapid boiling salted water. When gnocchi has risen to the surface of the water they are cooked. This typically takes 3 to 5 minutes. Remove gnocchi with a slotted spoon and place on a large baking sheet allowing them to cool.
- In a large pan over medium heat add coconut oil, broccoli, red onion and garlic. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Push broccoli mixture to one side of pan. Add more coconut oil (or butter) and gently place gnocchi in pan. Cook gnocchi until lightly browned. Stir broccoli and gnocchi mixture together and serve warm.
♥ Tip – Add your favorite pasta sauce if you wish.
3 thoughts on “White Sweet Potato Gnocchi”
They sound amazing Jessea. Nana will be so proud of you!!!! I can’t wait to try these myself!!!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! I tried!! Definitely not like hers though haha. ♡♡