Have you ever tried savory oats? I will admit I was very skeptical at first about savory oats. Sweeter oatmeal recipes have always been my go-to… But was I ever pleased that I gave savory oats a try! YUM!
When you think of oatmeal, mushrooms and Gouda cheese are probably not something you would think of pairing with oatmeal. However, it works wonderfully and tastes delicious.
I dare you to give these savory oats a try!
- 3 cups of chicken stock (use stock of your choice or water)
- 1 cup of steel cut oats
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 green onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic chopped fine
- 1 cup of sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup of grated smoked Gouda cheese
- pinch of sea salt
- pinch of black pepper
- handful of arugula
- 1 poached egg (optional)
- Bring water to a boil in a pot over high heat. Pour in steel cut oats, stir, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook for 15 minutes or until oats are tender (follow cooking instructions on oats).
- Pour coconut oil into a saucepan over medium heat, add garlic and saute for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and green onion, cook until mushrooms turn golden brown.
- Once oats are finished cooking, remove from heat and fold in smoked Gouda cheese. Add mushroom mixture into pot and mix until well combined. Stir in salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer oats into serving bowls.
- Enjoy! I hope you like savory oats as much as i do!
♥ Tip – Garnish with arugula and poached egg.