Who knew that cauliflower, YES cauliflower could make a delicious Alfredo sauce?!
Heck I’ll take it if it means I do not have to feel as guilty if I were eating the real deal and packing on all those calories from all of the heavy cream!
Okay – so not all of us are fans of cauliflower…
But believe me i’m sure you can almost trick anyone with this sauce – especially our kids, its a great way to trick them into eating some veggies! I definitely fooled my hubby with this one…and lets just say he was very shocked when I surprised him afterwards with the real ingredients…ha-ha.
The perfect guilt free Alfredo sauce! Believe me you will want seconds.
- 1 pound of uncooked fettuccine noodles (I prefer the green spinach fettuccine)
- 1 large head of cauliflower
- 4 cups of vegetable (or chicken) broth
- 1 cup of almond/coconut blend milk (or milk or cream of your choice)
- 6 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 small red onion chopped
- 3 scallions chopped
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp pink sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup of starchy water from boiling pasta
- Chop cauliflower into small pieces. Bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium heat, cook cauliflower for about 10 to 15 minutes or until cauliflower is soft. (Do not throw out vegetable broth you need it for the sauce).
- In a large skillet over medium heat add coconut oil, red onion, garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onions are soft- make sure to stir so you do not burn the garlic!
- As the cauliflower, onions and garlic are cooking, bring a pot of water to a rapid boil and cook pasta according to instructions provided. (Make sure to save 1/2 of the starch water from the cooking pasta.)
- Transfer the cauliflower, broth, onions and garlic to a blender and blend until smooth. To the blender add scallions, salt, pepper, nutmeg, paprika, Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese. Blend again until the mixture becomes smooth.
- Add olive oil to the large skillet you cooked the onions and garlic in and pour the cauliflower sauce mixture into skillet. Stir in almond milk and starch water until mixture becomes sooth and creamy. Add noodles to skillet.
- Serve hot in serving bowls and top with extra Parmesan cheese and scallions.